Friday, January 3, 2014

Med Series #1 - Preparing for Med School

Med 1 - Preparing for Medical School




So you got into medical school. Congratulations! Now how do you prepare for the next 4 years of your life? What books should you buy and study over the summer? What should you do to make sure you ace medical school? The answer: Relax



Personally, the best way to prepare for medical school is by first taking a deep breath and realize that you're going to be a doctor. The next step is to simply relax. 

When I got accepted to medical school, I went home, opened my Moore's Anatomy textbook and started reading about 10 pages a night. After I had some sense knocked into me, I realized that this wasn't helping me at all. You see, you're going to learn everything in medical school anyway. There really is no point in trying to learn any of the material beforehand. I can almost guarantee you that the hours of studying that you will put into medical school will not change at all whether you did summer reading or not. 

If you choose to do some type of prep before medical school starts, then I would only suggest you go as far as learning and familiarizing yourself with prefixes, root words, and suffixes. Knowing that hydro is water, osteo is bone, and cyte is cell can be very useful. 

Honestly, the best way to prepare for medical school is to relax, enjoy your last real summer, and tell yourself that you're finally going to be a doctor!

No comments:

Post a Comment